Students may apply for a refund in exceptional circumstances outside of FIC’s Fee Refund Policy, or dispute FIC’s decision regarding a refund, by submitting a Refund Appeal Form. This process does not restrict the student’s right to pursue other legal remedies that may be available.
The decision to grant a refund outside of the terms of FIC’s Fee Refund Policy will be at FIC’s discretion and only made in exceptional circumstances if a student provides evidence of compassionate or compelling grounds as outlined below.
Eligible Reasons for a Refund Appeal
Medical requests must be accompanied by medical records in English (or a certified translation) with the specific dates on which the student visited the health professional and should include details on the following:
- The degree to which the physical or mental health illness (or treatment, in the case of medication, for example) is likely to have affected the student’s ability to study, attend classes, or sit examinations;
- The length of time over which the student’s abilities were likely hampered by the condition;
- The fitness of the student to resume studies.
- Death of a loved one, including immediate or extended family members. A death certificate or obituary in English (or a certified translation) is required as documentation.
- Other unanticipated events not mentioned above will be considered, provided there is clear supporting documentation.
Other exceptional circumstances may be considered with supporting documents.
Students have up to one month following the receipt of the assessment of their Refund Request to submit an appeal of the decision. Students who wish to appeal the decision of their refund request can do so by filling out the FIC Refund Appeal Form.
Appeals must be accompanied with a detailed statement as to why their appeal should be considered and should include any additional supporting documentation. The appeal will then be reviewed by the Appeals Committee, which is made up of the college director, finance controller, and selected members of FIC’s management team. The Appeals Committee will have the appeal reviewed within four weeks and then make a determination on the outcome of the appeal based on the committee’s discretion. Outcomes from the appeal process will be communicated by email. If you have any questions about the appeal procedure or would like to know the status of your appeal, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org using your student email address.