The language of instruction at FIC is English. Before being granted admission into a program at FIC, you must demonstrate a suitable level of English proficiency. This can be done by obtaining one of the results shown in the table below. Individual band scores apply.
If you meet the direct entry English language requirement and meet the relevant academic requirements for your country, you will be eligible for direct entry to UTP Stage I or UTP Stage II. Direct entry includes a non-credit academic literacy course. This program is designed to be completed in three terms.
If you meet the integrated entry English language requirement and the relevant academic requirements for your country, you will begin UTP Stage I or UTP Stage II and will take INTG100 and two academic courses in your first term of study. This program is designed to be completed in three terms.
If you meet the cornerstone entry English language requirement and the relevant academic requirements for your country, you will begin UTP Stage I or UTP Stage II and will take cornerstone courses in your first term of study. This program is designed to be completed in four terms.
*Students are exempt from the Academic Literacy Course (ALCE) with any of the following:
- IELTS 6.5 overall with minimum 6.0 in reading and writing.
- TOEFL 82 overall with a minimum score of 20 in each of the four components (listening, speaking, writing, reading).
- Students wanting to submit TOEFL scores should request that originals be sent to FIC directly quoting Institution Code 1452.
- PVT 61 overall with no bands below 61.
- Completion of the last three (3) years of full-time secondary school education in English in Canada with a minimum grade of 70% in senior level English.
- Completion of the last three (3) years of full-time secondary school education in English in a country in which the principal language of instruction is English** with a minimum grade of 70% in senior level English.
- Completion of the last four (4) years of full-time secondary school education in English at a recognized international school in a country in which the principal language of instruction is not English with a minimum grade of 70% in senior level English.
- We accept online versions of some English Proficiency Tests. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
** Please see list of English as a Principal Language Countries at bottom of this page.
- Canadian citizenship in and of itself is not enough to satisfy the English Language Requirements, nor does a credit in Grade 12 English (or the equivalent).
- Students attending a Canadian curriculum offshore school in China are required to submit an English Language Proficiency test.
- Students currently attending a British Columbia high school and previously attended a Canadian curriculum offshore in China will be required to provide an English Language Proficiency test.
- FIC reserves the right to require applicants with an English Language Proficiency score disparate from their academic English prerequisite achievement to present further evidence of proficiency.
Your English language preparation
If you do not meet the minimum English language requirements for entry to your desired program at FIC, you may wish to enrol in an intensive English language program at SFU. The English Language and Culture (ELC) programs will help you improve your English language skills before starting at FIC.
SFU English Language and Culture (ELC) program
The SFU ELC program is an intensely interactive learning experience in a university setting. It emphasizes the importance of improving your language skills and understanding the culture in which a language is used. Students will be able to continue learning independently outside the classroom and will gain the confidence to use English in any setting.
Conducted at SFU’s Vancouver campus, the ELC program offers a wide range of English language courses. FIC can arrange full-time English tuition at ELC if you need to improve your English skills before commencing your academic study at FIC.
For more information, visit sfu.ca/elc and go to Our Programs & Courses.
Off-campus English as a Second Language (ESL) colleges
If you do not have an English test score, or if your IELTS score is lower than 4.5 when you apply to FIC, we can offer advice regarding specialist ESL colleges in Vancouver. These colleges offer intensive English language programs and most have new intakes each month.
English as a Principal Language Countries
Antigua & Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands