Skip to Main Content

SIN Clinic: Apply for your Social Insurance Number on campus (SFU Burnaby)

Date:   11 Jan 2024
Time:   10:00 - 3:30 pm
Fee: Free
Organizer: SFU international services
Venue: AQ 2013
Categories: Community, Social

Unlock the key to working in Canada! Secure your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and pave the way for employment opportunities. This event is open to ALL FIC and SFU students, and yes, family members are invited too! But remember, individual registration is a must.

Please note that this event is open to ALL  students. Family members of SFU and FIC students are also welcome to attend. Individual registration is required.

Please be on time for your appointment. We will not hold your spot if you are more than 5 minutes late. Service Canada will not be able to process your SIN without all the required documents. Visit the Service Canada website for a complete list of acceptable primary and secondary documents.

Walk-ins will be welcome as time and space allow; priority will be given to those who have registered.

If you have any questions, please contact an International Student Advisor at or 778.782.4232.


What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that the Canadian government requires for taxation purposes. You must have a valid SIN in order to be paid for any work you do in Canada.

What documents do you need to bring to your SIN appointment?

When you apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you must provide a valid original primary document to prove your identity and status in Canada. You may also need to provide a valid supporting document if the name indicated on your primary document is different than the name you are currently using. There is no fee to apply for a SIN. Visit the Service Canada website for a complete list of accepted documents.

If you are an international student, you must bring the following original documents:

– Original study permit with a notation confirming you “may work” or “may accept employment”, or a work permit.

– Original passport.

If your study permit does not include the proper work authorization conditions, you may need to request a correction or apply to change the conditions of your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. Contact an International Student Advisor for more information.

For more information, please visit: SIN Clinic: Apply for your Social Insurance Number on campus (SFU Burnaby) Tickets, Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 10:00 AM | Eventbrite

Back to Top