FIC Pre-MBA Program
The SFU MBA
Using a strongly applied approach, the full-time 12 month SFU MBA combines theory and application to provide students with an excellent understanding of the fundamentals of business. The comprehensive curriculum explores relevant topics such as sustainability, new ventures and international business.
The 12 month academic curriculum for the SFU MBA is equivalent to most 18-24 month programs. We've compressed the schedule by eliminating extended downtimes between the three semesters and filling the time with events like the international field study trip.
Why the intensity? Your time is valuable. We treat it as such. MBA programs are expensive, not only in tuition costs but in the time they take you out of the marketplace. We have priced this program to be of rare value.
It Requires a Serious Commitment
The program immerses you in deep, thought-probing questions and extensive study. You'll attend class 15 - 18 hours each week, at least four days out of five. Plan to commit double that time - an additional 30 hours per week - for reading, projects, assignments and study. Even the semester break represents an opportunity to learn. You'll start in September, finish classes in August, and then complete an internship of four months. Invest a year, and reap the rewards for the rest of your life.
The Right Fit
We're looking for a special group of people chosen for their sharp minds and diverse backgrounds. Our successful candidates will be ready to make a difference in the world and to push themselves to their highest potential, but also understand that no one succeeds on their own. They recognize that leveraging the various strengths of their team is a crucial part of leadership. As part of this cohort, you will be expected to pull your own weight while bringing out the best in others.
The Company You'll Keep
Degrees held: Arts, Kinesiology, Economics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology, Engineering, Education, Mathematics, Communication, Political Science, Music, Biochemistry, Geography, Medicine, Business, English, Philosophy
Average GMAT: 612
Average Age: 28.5
Average Work Experience: 5.5 years
Typical Countries of Origin: Canada, India, China, USA, Mexico, Iran, Brazil, Peru, Pakistan, Lebanon
Why take the SFU MBA?
- Study at a highly ranked school
- The Beedie School of Business is highly ranked in Canada and the world. The School was ranked among the top 75 worldwide in the category of economics/business in the Shanghai Jiao Tong University's 2011 Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Become a future leader
- The SFU MBA is designed to facilitate team work and leadership as shown by our great record in Business Case Competitions against the world's leading business schools.
- Live in a great city
- We are located in Vancouver, one of the world's most liveable cities. The region is a gateway to the Asia Pacific and an emerging knowledge centre, and provides a dynamic setting in which to research, study and learn.
- Obtain valuable work experience
- At the end of the academic component of the MBA, you benefit from a 3 month paid internship.
- Make the most of your valuable time
- The academic component of the SFU MBA is designed to be completed in 12 months
To find out more about the SFU MBA click here.
The FIC Pre-MBA
The 16-week program at FIC is designed to prepare you for the challenges of studying in an elite MBA program at a top Canadian university. FIC's small class sizes results in you receiving extensive support and more personal attention from your professors. Due to the comprehensive foundation available during the Pre-MBA the GMAT and IELTS requirements are slightly lower than the requirements for direct admission to the MBA.
Successful applicants will receive a combined Letter of Offer for the Pre-MBA at FIC and MBA at SFU, your transfer to the MBA program is guaranteed upon completing the PRE-MBA with a GPA of 3.0.
The Beedie School of Business
The Beedie School of Business is one of the leading Business Schools in Canada. The Beedie School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). Only 1 percent of business schools worldwide have achieved these valued seals of quality.
SFU Beedie School of Business: Full-Time MBA
Your Pathway to Simon Fraser University
|Program||Normal Duration||Total Program Fee|
Pre MBA Program
- Intercultural Issues in Graduate Communications
- Introduction to Business Skills: Statistics and Accounting
- Introduction to Collaborative Work Environments
- Academic Literacy in Context: Business Writing
- Case Competition Capstone
SFU Master of Business Administration
- Business Ethics
- Data and Decisions
- Managerial Economics
- Managing People
- Financial Management
- Financial/Managerial Accounting
- Managing Information Systems
- Leadership & Teamwork
- Managing a Globalized Workforce
- Managing Global Enterprises
Inter Semester Spring/Summer
- International Study Tour
- Innovation and Creativity in Business
- Business Strategy
For more information on SFU's MBA, visit beedie.sfu.ca/mba
Potential career paths
- Advertising Executive
- Finance Analyst
- Human Resource Manager
- Logistics Manager
- Management Consultant
- Systems Analyst
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized institution with a competitive Grade
- 500 GMAT score
- 6.5 IELTS or equivalent (with no band below 6.0) Or TOEFL 88 (with no subscore below 20)
- 2.5 years of work experience
- Successful Skype interview with Beedie School of Business
- Copy of degree certificate and transcripts
- Copy of GMAT certificate
- Reference letter(s) covering at least 2.5 years of employment
- IELTS certificate (if applicable)
- Self-evaluation and educational objectives questionnaire