Things to do in Vancouver
Speak to a member of the FIC team directly
T: (+1) 778 782 5011
Welcome to your new home, Vancouver!
Vancouver, also known as VanCity, is home to many amazing attractions, sports teams, concert venues, shopping centres and restaurants, as well as having a backyard full of outdoor activities and adventure!
There are many fun and exciting things to do in the city. Some local attractions include:
- Granville Island: a vibrant market featuring artisan studios, theatre, restaurants and local produce.
- Gastown: the historic heart of downtown Vancouver! Rich in heritage, Gastown features cobbled streets, a great nightlife, and many restaurants, lounges, and galleries.
- North Shore Mountains: Grouse, Seymour, and Cypress mountains are all within 40 minutes of downtown Vancouver and all offer excellent skiing, snowboarding and hiking.
- Stanley Park: This huge evergreen oasis has majestic cedar, fir and hemlock trees, and you can enjoy the Vancouver Aquarium, arts events, and a stroll or cycle along the 10 KM seawall.
- Playland: Featuring over 30 rides and attractions, Playland amusement park is one of the most popular events at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). Having hosted millions of thrill seekers since its opening in 1910, this 15-acre hot spot for people of all ages is perfect for those who really want to have some fun. If you enjoy a good scare, be sure to check out their Fright Nights during the month of October.
Professional sports play a huge part of the Vancouver community:
- Hockey: Vancouver is home to the NHL's Vancouver Canucks
- Football: Vancouver is home to the CFL's BC Lions
- Soccer: Vancouver is home to the MLS Vancouver Whitecaps
British Columbia and Beyond
Take a break from your books and classes from time to time and enjoy all that British Columbia has to offer. Whether you choose to snowboard at Whistler, hike at a provincial park, shop in Victoria or drive through the Okanagan, there's truly something for all budgets and interests. Check your Student Handbook via the FIC Student Portal for more details.
Get Connected with Vancouver Events
So you are excited to begin exploring the city or you want to check out which bands are coming to town but don't know where to look.
Try these links below:
- Dailyhive is a local media webpage which frequently features events and activities to do around town, plus covers local news stories
- Ticketmaster is where you will find tickets for any professional sporting event and major concert to come to Vancouver
- CinemaClock Vancouver lists movie times at a series of theaters across Metro Vancouver
Alcohol and Drug Use
Vancouver is a city full of opportunities to try new things, meet new people and have adventures. It is important though that you understand the local laws to maintain your legal status in Canada. The age to consume alcohol is 19 years old and you will require 2 pieces of ID of which one must have a photo to enter drinking establishments.
The possession or use of illegal substances, such as non-prescription drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc.) is against the law and you can be arrested and charged by the police. You may also get a criminal record. That can prevent you from traveling to other countries, getting certain jobs, and applying for citizenship.
For more information on laws in Canada please view this website.