Travelling to Canada
This website is for new or returning students arriving from outside of Canada to begin or continue their studies at Fraser International College.
News and Updates
The Government of Canada recently announced changes that will be implemented starting August 9th, 2021. Starting August 9th, 2021 at 12:01am EDT, the 3-night government hotel stay requirement will be eliminated for all travellers.
- Travellers who are not exempt from quarantine will complete a PCR test at the airport and proceed directly to their chosen 14-day quarantine accommodation with an appropriate quarantine plan.
- As long as the Day 1 arrival test results are negative, travellers continue to self-isolate.
- A final PCR test will also be required on Day 8 of quarantine – travellers will complete this test while in quarantine. A home test kit with instructions will be given at the airport upon arrival. Results that are positive will require direction from Public Health Authorities for how to proceed.
- Travellers who are approved for quarantine exemption will be subject to random arrival tests rather than each fully vaccinated traveller getting tested, which means you may or may not have to complete a Day 1 test at the airport.
- There is no cost associated with either Day 1 or Day 8 testing.
Government of Canada extends restrictions on direct flights from India Until September, 21, 2021
If you are travelling from any of these countries please adjust your travel plans and contact FIC if you have any questions or concerns.
Starting July 5th the Canadian Government has started to ease some of the travel restrictions for fully vaccinated traveler. Please read the travel guide and the following links for more details;
It is important to note that you will still need to provide a 14 day quarantine plan even if you feel you qualify for the new exemptions.
Please find Air traveller requirements as mentioned on the Government of Canada Website.
Travellers must still provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test taken up to 72 hours before their scheduled departure time.
As of February 21, 2021, at 11:59 pm ET, travellers, unless exempted, will also be required to:
- reserve a government-authorized hotel for 3 nights prior to departure to Canada
- take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival in Canada
- stay in the government-authorized hotel while awaiting the results of the COVID-19 molecular test taken on arrival
- pay for the cost of the hotel stay, as well as all associated costs for:
- infection prevention and control measures
Travellers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN.
Travellers will still be required to complete the remainder of the mandatory 14-day quarantine after their mandatory hotel stopover.
List of Government approved hotels.
There are new restrictions for Air and Land travellers which will come into effect on February 22, 2021. It is extremely important that you understand the process for travelling to Canada. The current message from the Government of Canada is ‘Now is not the time to travel’. Please take the time to read the information about the travel restriction in place by visiting the following pages regularly as things are changing:
- News release by the Government of Canada
- Hotel Quarantine Measures for air travellers come into effect Feb.22
- Travel Restrictions in Canada
- COVID-19 Mandatory hotel stay for all air travellers arriving in Canada
- COVID-19 testing for travellers coming into Canada
The Government of Canada has announced that there will be major travel restrictions coming into as soon as possible. One of these changes will start on Feb 3rd as all international passenger flights will land only in of the four following airports: Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Montreal.
They have announced as well that as soon as possible there will be mandatory PCR testing at the arrival airport for people returning to Canada. After the testing travelers will have to wait up to three days at a government- approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense.
For more information please read the following article and government website: CBC News Article and Government of Canada announcements from January 29.
Effective immediately, current Government of Canada regulations require that anyone arriving from outside of Canada must provide documentation of a negative covid19 laboratory test result to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. Individuals with a negative test result must still complete the full 14 day quarantine period.
For detailed information about testing, please read the news release by the Government of Canada
Download the FIC and SFU Full COVID-19 statement.
Students who are coming to Canada must complete the following steps:
- Read the FIC International Student Travel Guide.
- Complete the federal ArriveCAN application 72 hours prior to arriving to Canada.
- Complete a PCR COVID-19 Test with a negative result 72 hours prior to their flight.
- Book an approved hotel prior to departure for the duration of 3 days at your first point of entry. The approved list can be found here. The traveller will have to pay for the cost the hotel which will vary by location.
- Take a PCR COVID- 19 test at airport upon arriving to Canada.
- Take another Covid-19 test near the end of your 14-day quarantine.
If you are in need of financial assistance to help with costs associated with quarantine, you may apply for the Navitas Canada Financial Aid Bursary here. This bursary is open to students who will be in Canada.
All students are responsible for making themselves aware of the requirements and are required to follow the FIC Isolated or Quarantined Student Policy.
A Border Services officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada at the Port of Entry.
For more information regarding Frequently Asked Questions, Covid19 Policies and Procedures, and the Return to Campus Safety Plan, please visit the Covid19 Updates and FAQs page.